09 March 2011

Uma ofegante epidemia que se chamava carnaval

Brazilians love carnival. Some say the year just really begins after it. But whether you enjoy it or not, one thing can't be denied: carnival is a great time for taking a well-deserved break, whether you choose to celebrate, to rest, to get organised or even to put yourself up again for what is about to come.

This year, I opted for a mix of things. Had some friends over for eating, drinking delicious caipirinhas and watching some DVDs to cheer up. Rested loads! Enjoyed my husband's company as well as my cats'. Didn't watch the parades, but looked for pictures of the samba school muses; always an inspiration.

Of course I'd like to hear from your experiences. Did you stay home or travel? Did you celebrate or rest? Did anything unusual happen?

Here's some vocabulary that may be useful:

Samba school - escola de samba.
Float - carro alegórico.
Costumes - fantasias.
Revellers - foliões.
To watch the parade - assistir ao desfile.
To parade - desfilar.
In full swing - a todo vapor.
To put on a show - dar um show.
To strut your stuff - exibir-se.
Ash Wednesday - quarta-feira de cinzas.

Leaving you with the irreplaceable elegance of the "musest" of all muses, Luiza Brunet (48 years old).


Time to share experiences!
XXX
Sabrina

12 comments:

  1. Loved it. She looks FAB and so did you that day we saw each other.

    Miss you.

    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. U R ALWAYS FAB!!!
    I'll ask Bruno to put the pictures somewhere in the web so that u can have them 2. Somewhere with a password, of course, LOL!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    EVOÉ

    My carnival can be resumed in :
    to lunch in family at my house, pool baths, to watch movies on DVD and samba school on TV at night.
    I loved to see the BEIJA-FLOR school, my favorite school. It was amazing: soft and strong at the same time.
    I believe that Roberto Carlos was the main
    reason of the success and emotion that we could
    appreciate on the revellers.
    Congratulations to all !!!!!!!!

    Kisses

    LEO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe there isn't a single person in Brazil who doesn't like Roberto Carlos. I got to know him when I was a kid. He used to attend the same Sunday mass I did. All I can say is he deserves to be called a king. A king of discretion, simplicity, kindness and courtesy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like good ol' Bob Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child I'd loved munch more Carnaval than now. I am from Nilópolis and I pareded many times with Beija Flor. This year , I earned a ticket to see the parade on Monday. IT was great. Beija Flor was really the best, it was an emotion to see my favorite school of samba and Roberto Carlos together.In the others days of carnaval I rested and had fun with my family and friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rita, thanks for the comments. Being there must've been really special!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, I don't care a lot about carnival, but I had a lot of fun with my cousins, witch come from Belém, PA. We had a lot of fun, we went to the cinema, to the bowling, OutBack,..., I just life carnival because I don't have any class and this is very nice! It was this, I'd loved my carnival this year! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice, we're very much alike!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete